As we ring in the New Year, many people have set New Year’s Resolutions to strive for in 2012. One of the most popular resolutions is getting organized – thus January was deemed Get Organized Month! With harsh weather, and fire hazards throughout the winter, one area to start organizing right away is the barn. Below are some helpful tips and tricks on getting the barn organized.
- Designate spaces for each task – clearly mark areas for grooming, tacking up and for storage. Clutter is minimized when everything has a conveniently located spot.
- Stock up your newly formed spaces with essentials needed for each task – keep the grooming totes and washing necessities where you clean and bathe your horse.
- Tote and label out of season items and store them in a tack room, extra stall or storage area.
- Quick Tip: Clean and launder items that are going to be put in storage so that they will be ready to use when needed.
4. Organize the feed room. Messy feed rooms can easily become home for unwanted pests trying to stay warm and fed for the winter.
- Quick Tip: Pick up some air tight containers and house them on shelves up off the floor.
5.Give the barn a good scrub down. Clean out stalls, walk ways, doors and windows. Now is a good time to scrub down any dust that has accumulated because built up dust and debris are potential fire hazards.
What’s your New Year Resolution?