Fall is my favorite time of year to go trail riding. I love the morning rides when I can hear the chorus of birds preparing for the upcoming winter season. The view as I ride through the valley and see the fog rolling across the landscape is almost as breathtaking as the crisp, cool morning air. I love seeing the brightly colored leaves as they fall from their branches, and hear the crunch of a leaf under my horse’s hooves. Fall introduces many new sites and experiences to enjoy during trail rides.
Of course, there’s more to the change in season than crisp morning rides. You have to pay attention to frost, change out your spring buckets for winter ones, and think about blanketing your horse. Spring cleaning changes to fall cleaning as you patch up drafts in the barn and insulate water pipes.
These are my top 5 must have items for early fall:
- Vest: these are my favorite to wear when I can’t tell what the temperature will be like. I can wear them alone and the also fit nicely under a jacket.
- Waterproof Boots: I love my waterproof boots because they keep my feet dry from frost and mud when walking out to the barn.
- Gloves: My fingers get cold quickly, especially when I’m scrubbing buckets and refilling my winter ones.
- Horse Sheet: Sheets keep my horse from growing his winter coat too soon as well as keeping him warm on chilly, fall nights.
- Packable Parka: These are great to ride in early fall weather. These parkas the perfect wind-breaker and long enough to protect my upper legs.
Shop all my must-haves, and find some of your own at Rods.com. Stop by our Facebook or Twitter page and tell us your list of fall essentials!